What is CPCB?
CPCB stands for Central Pollution Control Board, inaugurated on 23rdSeptember, 1974 is the statutory body assigned the task of monitoring the air and water quality standards. The Central Pollution Control Board is allocated the powers and functions under the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.
The main functions performed by the Central Pollution Control Board are:
- To promote cleanliness of streams and wells in different areas of the States by prevention, control and abatement of water pollution;
- To improve the quality of air and to prevent, control or abate air pollution in the country.
In addition to it, there are other functions to be performed by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). One states functions of the Central Board at the National level and other one state the functions of the Central Board as State Board for the Union Territories
At the National level, CPCB is expected to advise the Central Government to make decisions in relation to prevention of pollution and how and what all measures can be taken to improve the health of environment as well as the quality of air. It is one of the important functions played by the Central Pollution Control Board.
The function of the Central Board as State Board for the Union Territories is to advise the government of all the union territories regarding the suitable information for developing an industrial unit. Also, find some preventive measure so that the sewage and trade effluent are treated effectively. All the functions, may it be at the national level or state level, all in all, the functions are discovered to prevent the environment from getting pollution so that health of environment is taken care of.
The role of CPCB is similar to that of an advisor as it guides the Government and State Pollution Control Boards (CPCBs) in various matters relating to the implementation and enforcement of the Air, Water and Environmental Acts.
The reason of CPCB being introduced was to become a technical arm of the Central Government for environment research, monitoring, regulation and enforcement in the country.
Main Individuals of CPCB are:
- The chairman of the Central Pollution Control Board, 2021 is Tanmnay Kumar, IAS
- Prashant Gargava is the Member Secretary of the Central Pollution Board
There is an official website of the Central Pollution Control Board. Here is the link to the main website of CPCB https://cpcb.nic.in/index.php
On the website, you can see the
- HOME Section
- ABOUT CBCP Section, covering about us, functions, members of the board, organizational structure, who is who, messages
- STANDARDS Section, under which all the necessary standards are mentioned like Air Quality Standards, Water Quality Standards, Vehicular Exhaust, Noise/Standards Rules, Bio-Medical Incinerators, Auto fuel Quality, Common HW Incinerators, Generator Sets, Industry Specific Standards
- CPCB’S ACTIVITIES Section, containing Air Quality Management, Water Quality Management, Quality Assurance/Quality Control, Waste Management, Contaminated sites, Industrial sites, Noise Pollution, Urban Pollution, Pollution Control Planning, Information technology, Environmental training, NGT/Court Cases, Public Relations, Infrastructure development, Regional Directorates/Project Office, Old Projects
- AIR|WATER|NOISE DATA Section, where you can find Air Quality Data, Water Quality Data, Noise Monitoring Data.
- LABORATORIES Section, covering Air Lab (Ambient & Source), Water Laboratory, Bio-Science Lab, Instrumentation Lab, NABL Quality Cell, Trace Organic Labs, Information technology Lab, Recognition of Labs (EP Act)
- CONTACT US Section where the contact details of the directory are given to whom you can in case of any issue.
Environment Acts & Rules
In the left hand corner, the heading of environment acts & rules are mentioned. The Subheading under it are as follows:
- Environment Protection
The Environment Protection Act has been established to keep an eye on how the environment can be protected from the everyday pollution and what all steps can be taken for the same. In the year 1986, this concerned act came into existence to bring a change and protect the environment.
- Water Pollution
The Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act is an act specifically implemented to cure the water from getting polluted and establish some standards for the same. Under this section you can find the Act and Rules therein and also the latest notification regarding the prescribed act.
- Air Pollution
The Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act is constructed for:
- Prevention of air pollutant
- Controlling of pollution by introducing some safety measures
- Abatement of air pollution
Along with the Act and Rules associated with it, the notifications are also mentioned for anyone to have a look at it at any preferred time. The notification includes the air quality standards, the reestablishment labs and all the necessary information.
- Noise Pollution
The Noise Pollution (Control and Regulation) Rules, 1999 are published to find a way and implement some rules to control the noise pollution. Noise pollution has also become a big problem and therefore these rules implement some of the ways to control noise producing and generating source.
- Waste Management
This Heading contains the additional big list of all the waste and its rules therein. Starting with the Hazardous waste, being the first sub heading under waste management and including further the municipal solid waste, biomedical waste, plastic waste, E-Waste and the Construction & Demolition waste.
This article is a wide topic, due to limitation on word limit cannot be extended further. However all the necessary information that one should know about it is already included in the article. Hope you have gained the required information by reading this article. For any query relating the same, you can step down and get to know the contact details of CPCB.
Contact us for hassle-free registration under CPCB
EAdvisors is a popular professional consultancy firm, dealing in a lot of business services, starting from company registration to providing DPCC registration and also accounting services.
We at EAdvisors commit to providing our clients with the best of services!
Contact us and get your Pollution License in just few days.
We provide 24-7 support to our clients and assure quality work.